AP Psychology Summer Assignment
Mr. Sultz, iPrep Academy
Welcome to Advanced Placement Psychology! Over the course of the next academic year we will study human behavior. AP Psychology is a equivalent to Psychology 101 in college, meaning this is a survey class that introduces students to the major topics of the field, the terminology and methodology of psychology, and the historical and current understanding of human behavior and thought-processes. The workload is heavy, a strong effort is required but I promise you the material is fascinating.
This assignment will require the streaming of TED videos. TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to spreading ideas in short, powerful talks in 20 minutes or less. TED is an acronym for technology, entertainment, and design. Below is a group of TED talks relating to the various concepts in psychology, which we will be discussing throughout the year. From the list, you are to watch FIVE videos of your choosing. After viewing each lecture, you will need to write a one-paragraph summary consisting of at least 10 sentences. Your summaries must include your opinion of the talk, terms or concepts you were interested in or had questions about, and what perspective of psychology you feel best ties to the TED talk.
Summaries are to be typed in double-spaced, 12-point Times New Roman or Ariel font including the title of the TED talk as a heading. The assignment will be submitted on the first day of class. Each Summary is worth 10 points for a Total of 50 points. Your work should be typed and submitted to me in person upon the return to school August 23, 2021.
Search for the talk in Ted using http://www.ted.com/
• Martin Seligman: New Era of Positive Psychology
• Dan Gilbert: Surprise Science of Happiness
• Daniel Kahneman: The Riddle of Experience vs Memory
• Pamela Meyer: How To Spot A Liar
• Ben Ambridge - 10 Myths About Psychology Debunked
• Adam Grant: The Surprising Habits of Original Thinkers
• Dan Ariely: Our Buggy Moral Code
• Beau Lotto: Optical Illusions Show How We See
• Chid Kidd: The Art of First Impressions – In Design and Life
• Meaghan Ramsey: Why thinking you’re ugly is bad for you
• Jon Ronson: Strange Answers to the Psychopath Test
I congratulate you on challenging yourself by enrolling in AP Psychology and I look forward to working with each of you in the upcoming year. Enjoy your summer and stroke your curiosity in psychology with this summer assignment!!!
Looking forward to an amazing 2021-2022 school year with you,